Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 246

Spent some time in a coffee shop other than the one I work at, today. A two man crew from CBC was in, interviewing a woman who was a musician, and I think thought at the university from time to time. They were talking about culture (I think specifically art culture, but maybe not entirely only art culture), and Saskatoon, and all that. It was actually an interesting conversation...at least the parts I heard. The lady being interviewed was saying how the city of Saskatoon was at a crucial point in it's growth, and that we needed to make sure art culture, and other cultures, weren't lost in the growth. She then used Calgary as an example. She said that in Calgary big business sort of took over and sort of swept culture away. I also think she mentioned that it was improving there now. I found it interesting, in part because I've sort of observed that about Calgary, from what little I know about it. I know there are areas and people in Calgary that might disagree. I don't know enough about the city to make actual statements about it's culture. As of now, I think the people of Saskatoon have been doing a good job of maintaining, growing and nurturing it's culture. I enjoy the city, and hope it can keep it's vibe. Well, not the bad driving vibe. But I think everyone says that about their city. Bad drivers. I'm beginning to think everyone is a bad driver. Some are just worse than bad.

I got an unexpected, yet much appreciated gift today. A little background information first. My grandma, who passed this past Christmas, used to always make various canned items, and jam, and apple juice, and other things. I had two favorite things that she made: apple juice (I could drink gallons of grandmas home made apple juice), and chokecherry syrup. We used to put chokecherry syrup in a bowl, add some cream, and eat it just like that. Often we'd dip bread in it as well. Soooo good. Okay, well, a friend of mine that happens to work on the same floor as my wife, passed on some of her own chokecherry syrup for me to have. When my wife messaged me to let me know, I teared up. I was reminded of how much I missed my grandma, and memories of eating the syrup came back, along with different memories of grandma on the farm. I don't know why, but when I remember my grandma, it's usually visions of her on the farm. I think those were my favorite memories. Maybe it is because my youth was simpler. Who knows. Anyway, to you who passed on some of your home made chokecherry syrup, thank you thank you thank you. I haven't said your name because I haven't asked your permission. But you know who you are, and I appreciate it so much. I bet you didn't know your actions and generosity would have such a big impact on my day. :)

I think I'll leave it at that for now. I've been chatty kathy tonight, so I'll stop. Thanks for coming by again. Keep coming by, as I think I have an announcement in the next few days.

Love you all. Take care!

No comments: