Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 230

Hey, 230! As I've said before, reaching increments of 10 makes me happy.

Day off today, and I'm in a coffee shop. Ha ha...I'm checking out a place called Collective Coffee, on 20th street in Saskatoon. It has one of those mini garage door style doors (which I love), opening it up to the air. They also have a regular door to the side, for when the winter hits. The decor is really nice as well. Their espresso and coffee beans are supplied by Intelligensia out of Chicago. Pretty tasty stuff, if you ask me. Anyway, I'm still partial to Museo...but maybe I'm biased. Both places putting out good product, and I always support small local businesses, even if they are competing. There is definitely a lot more room still for quality coffee bars in Saskatoon....like, for quite a few more, if you ask me. Also, there needs to be a guy/girl to go around teaching other coffee shops some skills and tips, etc to improve their stuff.

Anyway, not sure what else to write about at the moment. Life seems like it's going pretty good these days. At least, my definition of pretty good. Actually I would say it's going really well. I'm looking forward to starting a regular class schedule, and working around it, and continuing honing my skill behind a camera. I mentioned previously, I think, that I purchased a flash. I'm looking forward to using that more, especially off camera. My in-law's have a nikon flash as well, so I'll be able to use my camera to control those and do some different lighting stuff. I don't really know the first thing about flash/strobe photography, so I'm basically a blank slate. Well, I shouldn't say blank...my friend Jason Finkbeiner of Jay Scott Photography has been slowly teaching me about lighting and using flashes off camera. I say slow because I'm a bit of a slow learner at times...especially with stuff that's so technical. The artistic side might be a bit easier for me to learn...but the technical stuff is a bit of a challenge. Anyway, please stop by Jay's site, and if you're so inclined, comment and like his stuff.

I also want state that when I say that my life is going well these days, I don't really mean that my life was terrible previous to now. I didn't feel good, and there were a few things that could have been going better...but I always knew that my life itself was nothing to complain about, because I had breath, and had a wife who loved me, and friends and family who did as well. Anyway, hope that makes sense. Maybe it's just a bit easier now, because certain things have improved. I think I'm just thinking in type. Something to think about, anyway.

Thanks for stopping by again. Love you all. Take care.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Thanks for the shout out!

You aren't a slow learner. It is very technical stuff that a person can only wrap their brain around one concept at a time. Once it's in there the only thing left to do is apply that theory creatively. That's where I feel weakness in my work and hope to improve on, in addition to the enjoyment, by our time hanging out.

You learn fast from everything I've seen.

Thoughts From Me said...

I hear you on the life being good thing. I really don't think I have a whole lot to complain about. I am surrounded by a bunch of people that I love and care about and I think they feel the same towards me but on days like today I just feel like complaining about everything and would really like a vacation. Everyone has ups and downs, it just is hard when the downs out number the ups. Hopefully that won't be the case and tomorrow will be a better day for me. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better about life :)
Love ya lots!