Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 16 - Fear

Well, here we go.

I'm afraid of the dentist. I avoid going. I avoid talking about dentists. I avoid talking about teeth to others if I can. I turn the channel if a dentist commercial comes on tv. I hate it. I know the fear isn't logical. Most fears aren't. I realize that not going to the dentist is causing the thing I hate, which is a bigger reason for going to the dentist. I don't need to be told that. I'm aware. Like I said, most fears don't operate within the realm of logic.

Tooth ache pain (when it's bad) is probably the worst pain I've ever felt. I've felt dizzy at times with it. So, this morning, because I was having this type of pain, and it was the worst it has been in some time, I stubbornly, with a white flag, called the dentist and got in for an emergency check up. Friday I start the work. Apparently they have nitrous, which is supposed to be a good time. Looking forward to that.

I guess what I'd want others to take away from this post is don't let it get to this point. My mouth is pretty bad, and needs quite a bit of work, which I'm finally going to do. None of this "get the pain under control and don't go back for 4 years" stuff anymore. What's worse is that I've had coverage this whole time. Again, fear doesn't work in logic. There are dentists out there that want to help you. Mine turned out to be a nice guy, and his "assistant" was amazingly friendly, and assured me that I'm not alone with the whole fear thing. Her husband is dealing with toothaches and doesn't want to go in because he's afraid of what the staff there will think. Poor guy. I can honestly empathize, and sympathize with him.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. My next appointment is on Friday afternoon.

Oh, and Jenn and I decided to go on a road trip for a holiday. Not 100 percent sure where yet, but we might go see the grand canyon. If not, more west. I'm excited just to get away with my wife. She deserves to have some fun and not work for a couple of weeks.

Well, thanks for reading. Take care (of your teeth).

Jason

No comments: