Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Running

I admire those who can run. Witnessing run143 last week spurred me on to treat my body better. While I realize that the purpose of Run143 wasn't to inspire people to get healthy, rather to raise awareness about the orphan problem across the world, I was still amazed at the runners for being able to do something like that.

I don't think running the entire run143 ultra marathon will be doable for me next year, but that doesn't mean the year after or the year after that won't be doable. Instead, I will start with a humble goal of being able to run a 5k without stopping. My goal is to be able to do it by next spring/summer. I know nobody reads this, but it feels like accountability anyway.

Just to be honest, about a month and a half ago the doctor put me on blood pressure pills. It was a blow to my ego. My dad is taking blood pressure medication. I thought that was an older person thing. I'm overweight, and I get scared that this is the start of worse things. 30 is when aging really starts, and it's time to fight that a bit. I don't mind aging, but I want to do it in a healthy way.

I don't know where to start, other than walking and eating less. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Kimbal said...

I read this and I will keep you accountable if you do the same for me. Let's work on this together.