Thursday, December 30, 2010

Long Day


Let me start by stating that I know these photographs aren't great. It's not the point this time.

Today was a hard day. We had my grandma's funeral. One of the hardest things to see was how sad and heartbroken my grandpa is. Although he was sad, there was a quiet strength about him, dressed in black, with red to honor his wife, whose favorite colour was red. There is a weight on his shoulders now, of looming loneliness. I know he can do it. While is in deep mourning, he is also strong. We are all his legacy, and we are with him.

I included the bottom picture because I see lots just looking at those shoulders. I see a tired man, shoulders slightly slouched. I also see strength. I see strength of a man who has farmed for decades, who helped raise 4 children, who has lived through a 57 year marriage, who has loved and lost more deeply than most will get to experience. I see the shoulders of a man who will learn to survive on his own, regardless of how lonely he may feel at times. I like my grandpa's shoulders. I hope I have half the shoulders he has some day.

No comments: